Monday, August 11, 2008

Vinyard Church

We met a cute girl at the coffee shop the other day who recommended that we try a church in town called Vinyard Church. We have been to one church so far here in Arusha that didn't exactly thrill us so we were happy to hear of another option. I thought I knew where it was so we got the taxi driver to drop us off at the center of downtown. When we couldn't find it, I called our friend Hannah (International School Young Life Leader) and asked her and it turns out it was like 3/4 of a mile from where we were. Fortunately it was nice out and we had time so we had a lovely little Sunday stroll. When we got there, I again led us astray as I insisted on following some cute little Africans back into this neighborhood to their church. They had Bibles...so I thought we must be going to the same church. They are everywhere here!! In little homes, in big sanctuaries, fields, wherever...I think my roommates were about to kill me. But I just get curious...we had to back track a little but we finally found it. Oh Heath......

Once there, the experience was amazing. The worship was great..there was a big screen and we sang contemporary worship songs. We then took a break where they served us coffee, hot chocolate, and mondazis. (square baked bread - soooo yummy!) Then we broke into groups with people we did not know and talked about where God has showed up in our lives. People talked about how they were healed by laying of hands, their friends being persecuted because for their faith, etc. It was a rich time.

The pastor and his wife are from the States and they have lived in Africa starting churches like this for many years. Gary had an amazing message. He talked about how Nothing is impossible with God. He then went on to tell a story about a baby in Guatemala who was raised from the dead by a group of missionaries. The God in the Bible is the SAME God that is with us everyday. This story really blessed me as the journey He has me on right now often seems extremely hard and uncertain. But He is good!! And He is with us. If we believe...we can do anything in His name!! What an encouraging message. I felt like the Lord was speaking through Him directly to me. Like he was saying "Heath, trust me and follow me...I am with you wherever you go." Jesus says that if we have faith the size of a MUSTARD SEED we can move a mountain!! I pray for that kind of faith.

After church we went to lunch with the girl from the coffee shop and about 6 of her friends. Most of them work at another orphanage in town and they are from all over...US, Europe, Australia. It was so fun to meet new friends. We got another good meal at another muzungu restaurant. As we were eating we looked up to see some of our Young Life friends walking in with a big YL group from Arizona. So fun to get to see Alexis and Hannah and the other leaders.

Life here is good. God is faithful. Whatever He asks me to do....I am up for the challenge.

No comments: