Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Kilimanjaro

Sarah and I sitting high above the clouds. It was so gorgeous!!


My Porter, Noeli, who I must say was the greatest. Not only did he greet me with hugs at the end of everyday and take my pack from me as soon as I arrived at camp; he also wins the Best Dancer award. Hahaha he is awesome! 


Finally the day I had been dreading...haha just kidding. This mountain absolutely rocked my world! God taught me so much about his faithfulness. Through His grace, I reached the top of Africa! It was amazing. We spent 5 days above the clouds and the views were absolutely stunning. But what was even more beautiful was the way we were served by the guides and porters on this hike. Everyone had their own personal porter who carried their duffle bags up the mountain and then there were others who carried food, supplies, tents, BATHROOMS, etc. And every single one of them became my personal hero! Every morning two would come wake us up in our tents and fix us coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. They would bring us warm water to was and then we would be fed delicious meals to prepare us for the day's trek. The guides would heat up water bottles at night for us to put in the bottom of our sleeping bags so we wouldnt be cold. They took care of blisters, encouraged us with hugs when we reached camp, and just loved us so well. I have never been served like this. I can promise we were better taken care of than any 5 star hotel in the western world. It was such an amazing display of Christ's love. These guys loved us like their blood relatives...it humbled me to tears. One evening on the mountain we got to worship with them...we would sing a song in english with the guitar and then they would sing one in kiswahili. We ended the praise time with "Ill Fly Away" which they know and the most unforgettable dance party high in the sky! It gave me a glimpse of what the Kingdom might look like..people of different color, culture, and tribe all praising King Jesus!!

No comments: