Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nanny time

Lately we have had a lot of day volunteers. It's been nice because most of the babies have been getting more one on one attention. Due to the increase in help, I have been trying to help the nannies do the more mundane tasks that keep the orphanage running, ie dishes, laundry, etc. I have loved getting to spend time with them because number one it helps me with my swahili :) but more importantly it just gives me the opportunity to get to know them and to be a witness to them.

Today Hallie and I went up the street and ate lunch at an African buffet. Its not the best food in the world but its a nice change from the everyday peanut butter and jelly. When I got back for my second shift of work at 3, Neema one of the nannies said she and Juliet had waited to eat lunch with me and pulled me into the kitchen. I was already so incredibly full but I saw three plates sitting there with rice, potatoes, tomatoes, and cucumbers...they were sharing THEIR lunch with me! As stuffed as I was, I could not turn it down. So I prayed that God would make a place in my stomach for more food.

During the meal Neema said something that really struck me. I was asking them what they typically ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner...and Neema said she tried to eat a lot of porridge (a thick creamy soup that is really filling- its an African staple because it "sticks to the ribs") because "she was too small." In America, girls worry so much about being skinny, but in Africa they are just trying to eat enough to get by. They don't worry about such frivolous things as weight or how their clothes fit. They just don't have time. They are too busy taking care of others to worry about themselves. They didn't even get lunch until 3pm because they wanted to wait for me!

Once again I am blown away at the servant hearts of these people and they are witnessing to me even if they dont realize it. God is teaching me so much about generosity here. The other day Liza and I, with two other nannies, took a few kids down to the park. On the way back, Liza and I stopped at a little street store and bought the nannies a muffin. The kids all wanted some but we were like "no, these are for your nannies." After we gave them each their muffin, we looked and saw that they were breaking them and sharing them with the children. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I'm not sure I would have done that. But thats just how it is here... "Ours..." I love it. I pray to leave here more like that...

Proverbs 11:24
One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

No comments: