Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dream Maker

This is Clinton and he has the cutest personality. If you just say his name he starts grinning. He is so laid back and easy. I love him to pieces!!
This is Bahati. I think COL must have the cutest babies in all of Tanzania! He has dimples on both cheeks and they just melt you!

Today Christy, Hallie, and I took three babies to get tested for HIV.  I have been to several clinics in Africa, but for some reason every time I go I am still surprised by the fact that its basically a hole in the wall. We took Clinton, Bahati, and Helena into an office where they recorded their information into the only little computer they had. They then weighed them on a scale that looks like what we weigh our fruit in at Publix and measured their length with like a yard stick. 
We were then told to go to the "waiting room." (waiting room in Africa = plastic chairs under a tent outside.)

We had been sitting for about 45 seconds before some other women also waiting came over and said "give me babies...give me babies!" and literally took Clinton from Christy's lap. Um...ok. It was funny...Then someone came and took Helena from Hallie. They would have probably taken Bahati if he hadn't been asleep in my arms. In Africa, people share food, water, and apparently babies. :) 

We waited for about an hour and then they finally started calling us in. When it was Bahati's turn, I took off his cloth diaper and laid him on a desk...(patient room/office i guess) The clinic was small and was very humble compared to our standards but I have to tell you that those doctors were so sweet to these babies. They are only 6 months old and can't understand anything going on around them, but there were three workers surrounding each one as they proceeded with the needle test just loving on and consoling the babies as they screamed! Afterward the male doctor picked up Bahati and was cuddling him. It was so cute. They may not have all the machines and technology, but the bedside manner was to be remembered. 

We could not put their diapers back on because their little punctures needed to breathe so the whole way home I held Bahati pants-less....made me really nervous. :) But he did great and did not go to the bathroom on me. Good Boy!! 

We will not know the results of their for another few weeks, but please pray with us that all three babies will be negative. We obviously hope they are healthy so they can grow to live long happy lives, but they are also potential adoptees and the process is a lot easier if the children are not HIV positive.  

1 comment:

VVT said...

Heath, thank you so much for sharing your previous stories and photos with us! I love reading up on all the Lord is doing with you and the children. I'll be praying for you all, that His kingdom might come on earth as it is in heaven! I'm so happy for you to be so happy! - VVT