Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Legho Village


After time in Arusha, we traveled to Legho, a rural village about an hour outside of Arusha. We spent a few days working on the construction of a the first medical clinic in the whole village. We also got to spend some time in the classrooms of the primary school passing out coloring books and crayons. This was one of my favorite days. The children were so obedient and polite. The African culture has so much respect for thier elders. Whenever we asked them a question, they would say "yes, teacher." or "thank you, teacher" It was so cute! They sang us songs, said their ABCs, and showed us how they could count to ten in English. The school has very little supplies and the principal said that they do not know how to color in the lines. It was amazing to watch them split their crayons in half and share with each other. It amazes me everytime...in America I feel like the mentality is so often "me!! me!! me!!" where even at such a young age, in Africa it's "we!! we!! we!!"

No comments: