Friday, October 23, 2009

Miriam

After visiting Jumanne in the village yesterday I was walking back to my car when I was struck in awe by this little girl about 5 years old who ran up to me "How are youuuuu?" she says...she was literally bubbling over in personality and spunk. She was filthy dirty and in clothes that she could have been wearing for days. She had a cut on her face but was smiling from ear to ear. I asked her where she lived and to take me to her mama. When i got to her house all I found was a little old woman washing clothes. She informed me she was her grandmother and had been taking care of Miriam and her sister since they were babies. Their mother left them after their father got sick. Life is hard. Only she is left to care for them. Why do i keep encountering these same situations? Why? What do the futures look like for these babies? The girls are not in school but the grandmother is doing the best she can.

I went back to see Miriam again yesterday. She ran to me and threw her arms around me! I just met this little girl but I'm just as attached as she is. We spoke with her grandmother again and got a little more information. Both her mother and father are alcoholics. The mother left Miriam when she was 5 months old! The father is still around but is usually drunk whenever he comes home. The grandmother is struggling to care for 6 grandchildren on her own.  When I
 left yesterday Miriam chased me to the car and wanted to come with me. I can't believe how willing and desiring these children are to just go with mere strangers. Maybe even at the ages of 4 and 5 years old they realize it may be their only escape....

I am beginning to feel as though if I followed up on every child I find wandering through these villages, I would meet the same situations...its overwhelming. 
Miriam above and her sister Rehema below 
Please look at her sweet little hand on mine...

No comments: