Sunday, September 14, 2008

God in the huts

Hallie and me at dinner in Stonetown


We just got home from a lovely little vacay on the island of Zanzibar!! It was amazing! We spent a day snorkeling, enjoyed hour long massages right there on the beach, and in Stonetown went on a guided spice tour. It was a wonderful 6 days, but I wanted to share with you what the Lord taught me during our trip. 

As we drove from our beachfront bungalow where we marveled at crystal blue waters and relaxed in hammocks to get to our quaint bed and breakfast with balconies off the rooms and a roof-top terrace that looks straight out to the Indian ocean; I noticed how different life was for the people who live in between. We passed street shops selling fruits and vegetables, little shacks with kangas hanging on clothes lines, men gathered at woodshops talking in the shade, children resting on giant banana leaves...etc. Seeing these people living out their daily lives, made me miss the Africa that I love. Don't get me wrong, it was great sleeping in a big comfy bed, standing under hot water with pressure, and not having to brush my teeth out of a water bottle, but I realized that while I was "living" it up, I didn't see God as much. At least I didn't think about Him as much. I see God with those bibi wawili (grandmothers) trying to sell fruit to support the children of their children who have been stolen by AIDS. I see Him with widows and orphans. He is with those who must walk for miles to get water. 

Everyone wants to know how to get to know God better and how to have a stronger relationship with Him...I think the way to get closer to God is to get farther from yourself. We must strip ourselves of the comfortable robes we wrap ourselves in. It's a tricky culture where everything is catered to us but those "conveniences" are blinding, deafening, and worst of all numbing. We can do a good deed here and there and I believe that is pleasing to Him, but to truly know the heart of our Savior, we must go where He is. And He is with the poor and suffering. When Jesus lived as man on the earth he was never comfortable. He was born in a manger, humbly rode into Jeruselum on a donkey, and died on a cross! I am so thankful that we have a Lord who is not only drawn to the poor materialistically but also to those with poor attitudes, poor behavior, and poor intentions. 

Zanzibar was awesome and I am grateful that I was able to experience it. And as the saying goes "all good things must come to an end" But we must find a new good. For me, I am excited to be back to the babies, to the women on our street who are selling the bananas, to the Violets, to the people who will live in my heart to no end.....

No comments: